This is a great video made by the folks at MyRide.com. It contains excellent fuel saving tips, so it’s worth checking. However, if you are too lazy to bother, I’ll summarize:
- Keep your car maintained properly. Tire pressure, oil changes, filters, etc…
- Don’t drive too fast (keep it under 60).
- Stop-n-Go driving burns through gas faster than you can say “Chevron”.
That’s pretty much the gist of it. As I mentioned last month, $4+ gas will be the norm by Memorial weekend so get used to it. Oil companies still have no shame and I hope you got some of those stocks in your portfolio.
Lastly, I got a couple of things to add to the list:
- If you commute daily, try to work from home once a week. That should save you about a weeks worth of gas per month.
- I love torque and acceleration as much as the next guy, but sometimes, you just need to know that racing from one stop sign to the next does not make you cool, it makes you stupid.
- Get a new job thats closer to home. My wife works about 22 miles from home, in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles. She commutes 5 times a week, not to mention visiting clients and what not. I’ve been harassing her about for some time now and I know its not easy, but you better start looking if you want to save some green.